Thursday, October 18, 2007

I Passed Chris Eatough - 24 Hours of Moab Report

Yes, it's true, I passed Chris Eatough during the 24 Hours of Moab race. However, I should probably include a caveat to this statement...I passed him on my third lap at 7am in the morning, whereas he was probably on his 11th or 12th lap. My total riding time to that point was roughly 4 hours and he was nearing 20 hours on his bike. Yes, I know, pretty impressive. I should be hearing from Trek any day on that 6 figure sponsorship deal!!!!!

I'm not exactly sure how to comment on this race. I was thinking of a Haiku poem or maybe a short story, but since I am pressed for time and my venture back into the corporate world has been a bit taxing I will simply jot down a few numerical statements.

1. The Moab course is challenging! Between the technical riding and the sand riding your mental and physical game is constantly ON!

2. 24 hours of mountain bike racing is brutal. I've done 24 hours in adventure racing and it doesn't seem nearly as challenging. Hell, I only did three laps and I was pretty beat up. I have a new respect for 24 hour soloist. My hat is off to Mr. Hart!

3. I will do a 24 hour race solo!!!

4. My race was a Jekyll and Hyde situation. My technical skills were solid, but I my power and climbing ability were FLAT. It's a bit of a mystery, but there was no juice in the pistons. Very frustrating, especially with the amount of training I had been doing.

5. My team rocked. I could not have lucked out any better with a group of 4 dudes I had not met prior to the race. Solid group of guys, that raced hard, worked well together and encouraged each other along the way!

I will update with pictures as soon as possible. Until then here is the link to our teams photos from the race.

1 comment:

DARTvg said...

I like that high line on the bank turn...looking agro!