Monday, September 03, 2007

Grandma Nellie 1911-2007

My grandma was an strong, loving and happy woman who had the most infectious smile. I was very fortunate to be able to spend time and learn from this great person. She passed away peacefully in her sleep at the age of 96 years.


Grandma Nellie was born in Niewenhoorn, Holland, and along with my grandpa, moved their family (including my father) over to America in 1948. They initially moved to Kent, WA where they started farming for another family. In 1953 they purchased their own farm and moved to Enumclaw, where she would raise her family and live throughout the remainder of her life.


One of my grandma's greatest gifts was gardening. An absolute perfectionist, her garden was a statement of hard work, beauty and love. A life full of adventures, love and principles, grandma was loved by most everyone that came in contact with her. She was so caring and would strive to put your happiness before her own. I see so much of my dad in my grandma. I don't think it has completely sunken in that I will not see my grandma's smile again. This will especially be hard during the upcoming holidays because of so many fond memories. I will miss my grandma dearly.


Christmas 2006





No comments: