Tuesday, February 06, 2007

300 Club (update)

My quest to reach the Herculean 300 Club ended today at 6:55am. The crowd on hand was light, but emotions were running high. Since my quest started I had befriended a couple of older gents to be workout buddies on my MAX day (MAX refers to the ability to lift as much weight as possible in one controlled rep). Both in the mid to late forties, one rather portly and the other just plain fat, we have had some humor in my dedication to reaching my goal. Upon arriving today I let it be known that I would be "maxing" today in an all out onslaught to enter the club. The odds were definitely stacked against me. It had taken me years to reach my previous record of 285 and now I was trying to surpass that goal in less than two months. I was hoping that I was gaining "old man strength" and age alone would help me. With little media on hand (actually none...I was hoping the Enumclaw Cuirier Herald would run a feature story, but it sounds like there was a new calf born at the Van Hoof farm which garned more attention) and only a few eyes watching I slowly warmed up. I warmed up with 135, than 185, than 225. I was feeling good, but extremely cautious of the challenge in front of me. We put on two more tens and a five putting the weight up to 255. With Eminem singing to "lose myself" I entered the zone for the lift. The lift off the stand felt good, Eminem was blasting now, telling my I "had one chance to make it", this was it, I lowered the bar, the music is pumping louder and I am visualizing the execution of the lift. The bar touches my chest and the explosion of power was nothing short of a firecracker, as I struggled to finish out the repetition. BAM, I slammed the weight back against the rack as I was a challenger in a Tough Man Competition after lifting two cars. Wow, I had just lifted 255lbs and I knew there was no way in hell I was going any higher. We laughed, we cried, we hugged. It was a valiant effort for the entire crew, but I fell short of my goal by 45lbs. I'm sure there are fans out there shouting for me to continue and not give up. I hear you, but I need to focus on getting back to cardio shape. I have been given the green light to start weight bearing PT and this is now my focus. I have gained 14 lbs. during my injury and I need to start shedding some of this muscle. Before I wrecked I was at peak racing weight of 162lbs. Today at the gym I was just over 175lbs. By no means heavy, but definitely 10 more pounds that I do not need in my upper body for biking and running. I am sorry to disappoint my fans out there, but I will give you other reasons to cheer me on during the year. Thank you for your support and see you on the trails.

2 comments:

Hart said...

sweet dood - sounds like an entertaining waste of time, building all that big bulk only to have to work at shedding it. hmm... who is your coach? your time would have been better spent reading about training for endurance racing, or kicking yourself in the nuts!! was that harsh? at least you will look good in a speedo (as long as you shave the chest).

seriously i haven't checked up on you in a while and it sounds like your recovery is coming along great dood - we're cheering for ya!

DARTvg said...

I think that is 100lbs more than my max...you da man.