Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Nostalgia

My broken leg has definitely afforded me with some additional time on my hand (around 10-14 hours extra a week since I cannot train). Yes, I could be productive and do my job, plan for the future or work with my brother on our real estate projects. But, somewhere in my morphine induced laziness I find it much more productive to search the Internet for all the new bike goodies coming out in 2007, new training tips and in general waste my time. Today, during a 5 hour long conference call with my boss in Atlanta I started going through old photos and reminiscing about the good ole days. Since I'm 32 now and we are nearing the year 2010 I can justify calling the 80's and early 90's the good ole days! I was mostly looking at old race photos and came across a kick ass one of my brother Eric sporting a mean ass mullet. Dude, this kid wasn't messing around! Short on the side, short on the top, don't touch the back!!! I need to scan the photo so I can upload it. I found one of him, but you can't get the true appreciation of my brother's ability to grow the weed!

E. Vanderwaal circa 1990.

It's funny when you look at the past and remember how easy things used to be. Granted, my brother and I were very fortunate to have kick ass parents, but still no bills, limited responsibilities and the freedom to do or be anything you wanted. Our old family photos focused around several different activities; Holidays, a few vacations, riding motorcycles and drag racing. Our life was pretty much consumed with drag racing from 1988-1997. I wouldn't have given it up for the world, because I meant some great friends, traveled the US and spent some quality time with the family. I will get the staples out of my leg tomorrow morning, but I think I will spend tomorrow afternoon reminiscing through some more photos and enjoying a little nostalgia.


VanderWaal Brothers, 1994, Sonoma CA.

No comments: