Sunday, November 26, 2006

AV's Top Ten of 2006

It's that time of year, the turkey has been carved, Christmas lights are being hung, the retail shopping frenzy has started and the first snow has dusted the Northwest. It's also that time of year when everyone post ambiguous top ten's for the year. A couple of my obscure favorite are the Top Ten Urinals, MSNBC's Top Ten Wimpiest Cars of 2006 (now that is news...sorry if your car is on the list), Top Ten Weirdest USB Drives (WTF!) and finally, the Top Ten Worst Album Cover (A couple of these are really disturbing. My hat's off to #3, Ken "By Request Only"...Ken is one smooth cat).

To keep with the spirit of top ten's no one really gives two craps about; I will submit my own top ten of 2006. However, to spice things up I will try to perform mine in third person. Why you may ask? Well, first, because I can. Second, I have a broken leg so that's puts me in a distinct category of sympathy and allowed to do stupid things and third, it's me and everyone loves me! (editor note - for those that know me I am 100% smart ass with no credentials. For those who don't know me I am 75% smart ass with no credentials and 25% narcissistic)

OK, with our further ado, AV's top ten of 2006:

10. Aaron VanderWaal enters first expedition race with Nuun Mud and Flesh Wounds in Moab Utah. Aaron and team race well, but Mother Nature cuts the race short by 30+ hours.

9. The Raid Series US stop this year was in McCall, ID and Aaron VanderWaal and Team MerGeo.com fought it out with the top international and domestic AR Teams. The race went well, but there were many mistakes that mitigated a better finish.

8. Aaron competes in the Test of Metal and breaks the 4 hour mark. The tendonitis in Aaron's right wrist definitely created some pain during technical section. Aaron's goal for 2007 is to break 3:30.

(OK, I can't do the third person anymore it's going to make me puke)

7. Competing in the Xterra USA Off-Road Triathlon Championships. An amazing race, with great friends and a top notch production.

6. Completing the Cascade Triple Crown with Ruaraidh, Matt and Aaron R. Awesome.

5. Racing in the 2006 Sea Otter Classic mountain bike race in Monterey, CA. An amazing event and I actually finished well considering the tough competition. 11 of 95 in AG and 35 of 720 overall.

4. Finishing 4th place overall in the 100 mile multisport Mountain to Sound Race (mtn bike, road bike, kayak and run)

3. First place Age Group victory at the Xterra Vashon Off-Road Triathlon.

2. First place overall victory at the 12-hour Trioba Adventure Race.

1. Anything that involved my bike, my running shoes, a cocktail (or two) and friends.





Cheers to a great 2006 and a rockin 2007!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Solid Top 10! 2006 is is overrated, your 2007 is going to be off the charts.

Heal up...rvg